Monday 1 April 2019

Kapa Haka Concert (Free Writing)

If you don't know, every week on Mondays we get to have 20 minutes of Free Writing. Free Writing is when we get to write about whatever we want. This Week I will be writing about my first Kapa Haka Performance since the Kapa Haka Regional's last year. Ichose this topic because I felt like it was a special moment for me. Hope you enjoy :)

Kapa Haka Concert:
Last week Thursday (28th of March) Bay Of Islands College had a Concert for their Kapa Haka Groups Fundraiser. They were Fundraising for Regional's  that was coming up. Horrace's (My kapa haka teacher) sister had invited Te Rau Pou Manawa (Primary Kapa Haka Group, also the one I am in) to the concert to perform as well. From After Morning Tea to the end of the day, Te Rau Pou Manawa had a practice for the concert that was happening that night. All day we just worked and worked and we had a lunch tho. Before we had a top drop we were told about who our kaias are gonna be, Horrace told us that Tamarah (One of the 8 maybe kaias) will be doing commands, Manu will be the boy kaia, and I will start all of the songs. So we did the top drop and then we got let go to go home. When I went home I straight away went into the shower and got dress into my Te Rau Pou Manawa Shirt and a long skirt. I had asked my mum to put my hair in a bun cause that what was required from the girls. Getting dressed I was getting more and more nervous, what i was telling myself was "It's OK cause you have performed in maybe 10x more than then the people will be there. So when my dad got home from work, he had a shower and then we left. We all had to meet at Bay College By the marae. When I arrived I started looking for all my friends. When it came to about 30 minutes before we perform, all three Groups (Kete Taonga, Te Roopu O Peowhairangi, and Te Rau Pou Manawa) into the Marae. Once everyone was quiet Whaea Jazz (Horraces sister and the head tutor for Peowhairangi) gave us a big hug welcome an thanked us for coming to perform at their concert. She Started talking to us about what will start happening, we were first so we had to go to the drama room first to start practising. When we got in there Horrace made us do some warming up stuff.... (10 or 20 minutes later). % more minutes to go and everyone is getting nervous, "Te Rau Pou Manawa your up" says the lady from Bay. My heart started racing and I felt like I was about to faint. Once I hit the stage all my nerves went away. So that was my first performance in a while. Hoped you enjoy :)

I felt like it was a bit hard, but aslo a bit easy to write about this experience. My next step I will say, is try and use more describing words. Hope you enjoyed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment